Education Opportunity for Military Students
Under the VALOR Act, Massachusetts is part of the Interstate Compact on Educational Opportunity for Military Child. The compact is a tool for schools to make transition easier for the children of military families so they are afforded the same opportunities for educational success as other children and are not penalized or delayed in achieving their educational goals.
Under Massachusetts General Law (M.G.L. Chapter 15E), Greater New Bedford Regional Vocational Technical High School (GNBVT) assists eligible students is his/her parent(s):
- An active duty member of the uniformed services;
- Member or veteran of uniformed services who are severely injured and medically
discharged or retired for a period of 1 (One) year after medical discharge or retirement;
- Member of the uniformed services who died on active duty or as a result of injuries
sustained on active duty for a period of 1 (one) year after death.
GNBVT will work with other districts on behalf of students; and with students/families:
- Expedite transferring to or from another vocational technical high school to allow
continued enrollment in their grade, course placement and CVTE program (when space is
- Expedite transferring to a comprehensive high school from GNBVT through the transfer
of student records.
- Review prolonged absences that are the result of a student visiting with a parent on leave
or preparing for/returning from deployment to determine the need for excusals and/or
extensions to make up missed work.
- Facilitate on-time graduation by waiving specific courses required for graduation if
similar course work has been satisfactorily completed in another local education agency.
For more information, please visit: http://www.doe.mass.edu/sfs/mic3/