The school’s roots date back to the creation of the New Bedford Independent Industrial School in 1908. When the school opened in 1909, the school served only 59 students, all from New Bedford. In 1918, our school’s name was changed to New Bedford Vocational School. In 1946, the name was changed to New Bedford Vocational High School. In 1955, our school became the first vocational high school to be accredited by the New England Association of Secondary Schools and Colleges. (NEASC). That accreditation remains in effect today. Our school became a regional vocational-technical high school in 1977.