article by: Katelyn Fitzsimmons
Greater New Bedford Regional Vocational Technical High School students attended the SkillsUSA Fall Leadership Conference from November 18 – 20, 2018. Students at the conference participated in intensive leadership training in multiple areas, including: communication skills, group dynamics and employability skills, while having opportunities to become involved in the SkillsUSA Professional Development Program (PDP), earn a SkillsUSA Massachusetts Leader Award, and learn more about SkillsUSA’s various programs.
The students that attended participated in several challenges, including: Framework Case Study, Community Construction, Framework Video Challenge, Membership Promotions, Community Service, and Workplace Safety.
- Amanda Albino – Sophomore – Information Services
- Amber Conroy – Sophomore – Drafting Technology – Member Promotions – Bronze
- Ramon Corado – Sophomore – Plumbing
- Kennyel Cotto – Sophomore – Medical Assisting – Member Promotions – Silver
- Edison Cruz – Sophomore – Carpentry
- Alexzandria Dauphin – Sophomore – Early Childhood
- Elijah DeMedeiros – Sophomore – Medical Assisting
- Victoria Fernandes – Sophomore – Legal & Protective
- Neveaha Fernandez – Sophomore – Media Technology
- Lexi Grota – Sophomore – Dental Assisting
- Emily Guillotte – Sophomore – Dental Assisting – Community Service – Silver
- Elvis Jovel-Arias – Sophomore – Legal & Protective – Member Promotions – Silver
- Kara Koska – Freshmen – Exploratory
- Ruby Louro – Sophomore – Visual Design – Member Promotions – Gold
- John Marques – Sophomore – Engineering Technology
- Dominic Mendonca – Sophomore – Legal & Protective – Community Construction – Gold
- Natalie Portal – Sophomore – Medical Assisting – Framework Case Study – Gold
- Mackenzie Raposo – Sophomore – Electrical Technology
- Nicolle Rosales – Sophomore – Medical Assisting
- Jacob Tavares – Sophomore – Engineering Technology – Member Promotions – Gold
All of the students earned their Leadership Award Pins and placed 3rd or above in the Track Quality Awards with Gold, Silver & Bronze going to:
- Bronze – John Marques, Amanda Albino, Emily Guillotte, Nicolle Rosales, Edison Cruz, Neveaha Fernandez
- Silver – Ruby Louro, Alexzandria Dauphin, Kennyel Cotto, Elvis Jovel-Arias, Amber Conroy, Jacob Tavares & Kara Koska
- Gold – Lexi Grota, Mackenzie Raposa, Victoria Fernandes, Elijah DeMedeiros, Ramon Corado, Dominic Mendonca, Natalie Portal
The students traveled with the following advisors/chaperones: James Cafferty, Meghan Lacasse, Ronald Quintin, and Lori Russell-Pelsue.
The GNB Voc-Tech students were exemplary participants, making the school, the national organization and themselves proud as they work to become leaders in our programs, school and community.