The GNBVT Student Mentor Program’s mission is to empower our staff and student leaders to provide support and meaningful mentoring experiences for our incoming students that will foster a strong school culture and build on every student’s own preparation for their academics and career/vocational success, passion for college and one’s future career, and perseverance for life.
- Create a sustainable mentoring program that provides all interested incoming 9th grade students a mentor and encourages and trains these mentees to become mentors by their junior year at GNBVT;
- To build an intricate web of support to ensure the success of GNBVT mentors and mentees in the classroom and the community;
- Match incoming students with upper class students that share common interests and provide holistic guidance to ensure a smooth transition from middle school;
- Provide a variety of academic, vocational, social and emotional supports to enhance the GNBVT student’s high school experience;
- Provide ongoing leadership training to prepare students for their future destination and continue to serve as leaders for life;
- Provide impactful real world teachable moments through a speaker series that addresses issues that affect today’s youth (i.e., substance use, violence, relationships, suicide, health & wellness, etc.);
- Promote growth and development through effective role modeling and guidance;
- Foster relationships with area college and university students and athletes to mentor GNBVT students and encourage goal setting, accountability, perseverance, post-graduation planning, etc.;
- Teach and foster healthy relationship building;
- Promote the importance of understanding values such as preparation, passion and perseverance;
- Understand responsibility and accountability and loyalty to one’s self, one’s team/school and one’s community.